Saturday, January 16, 2010

So, you want to visit China, pt. I

I dug up a list of things that people are often surprised about when they first come to China, so I thought it would be fun to upload a few each day.  The list is huge.

Don’t freak out when

  • …you blow your nose and your tissue is black.  Of course, coal is used here in huge quantities.  Weifang is actually not bad in this regard.  We don’t have a lot of heavy industry here and the sky is pretty blue on most days, like today.  However, I recently traveled to the western part of Shandong and did experience this first hand.  I’ve heard Jinan, an hour west by train, is pretty bad sometimes.
  • people randomly and constantly shout out to you, “Hello!” then giggle.  This happens every day and I don’t understand it, personally.  It seems that it’s mostly young kids that do it, or males in their early 20s in a group.  I just ignore it for the most part.  I’m sure it’s part curiosity, part nervousness, and I’m sure part of it is genuine friendliness.
  • your empty beer glass while eating is suddenly refilled to the brim.  The host is just being nice and wants to toast you… repeatedly.  Fortunately, even I can out-drink many Chinese guys.  Unfortunately, the beer is like water… one bottle means three bathroom trips.
  • people want their photos taken with you.  Once in Beijing, a woman tried to give me her baby to hold for a photo.  Surely, they’re tourists themselves, who have probably never met a foreigner.  I often wonder about how many village homes my picture is now hanging up in.
  • people spit.  When you hear that throat clearing sound, it’s time to duck and cover.

[Via http://stephensmart.wordpress.com]

No comments:

Post a Comment