Thursday, September 3, 2009

Normal Service will be resumed very shortly

Yangzhou Garden

I realise that it has been some time since I posted anything on this blog. I have been away in China, a fascinating, enriching but exhausting experience it will take me some time to digest. I hope to post a blog about it at some point: for now I include some photographs to convey something of the atmosphere.

While I was in China I managed to finish a number of books two of which I hope to do reviews about soon. I will also be continuing with the sequence of posts on civilisation building. For now I am slowly catching up on all the things I didn’t do while we were away.

Shanghai at Night

One of the downsides of China is, of course, the pollution, but when we arrived in Shanghai it did provide some atmospheric night shots. I don’t want to leave the impression that our stay in Shanghai was a gloomy one though. It’s a vibrant and cosmopolitan city and the Chinese there, as everywhere we went, were warm and welcoming.

From there we went to Yangzhou where our son has been teaching English for the past year. By Chinese standards its a small city of something like four million. It takes pride in the way its new building work strives as often as possible to continue the long tradition of beautiful architecture stretching back hundreds of years. It boasts many gardens with intricate stonework and complex pathways.

Most of our time in China was spent in Yangzhou, though we visited Beijing as well as Shanghai. The high spot of the Beijing experience was climbing a section of the Great Wall of China (see final photograph).

Great Wall: Mutianyu

[Via http://phulme.wordpress.com]

No comments:

Post a Comment